NeighborhoodLIFT Homebuyer Education Requirements
The NeighborhoodLIFT® Down Payment Assistance program requires successful completion of eight (8) hours of homebuyer education. The paragraphs below summarize how this can be accomplished in two easy steps.
Homebuyer Education must be taken from an organization that is HUD certified and adopters of the National Industry Standards for Homeownership Education and Counseling. In the state of Idaho the standard for Homebuyer Education is six (6) hours. To find a list of organizations that meet this requirement click here.
In addition, to the six (6) hour requirement, you will need to complete a two (2) hour class called “Preparing for Homeownership”. This course is a self-paced course with a quiz at the end. You must receive a score of 70% or greater to receive a certificate at the end of the course. The cost of this course is $5.00. You can access the course here.
Please note that Shoshone-Bannock Tribes Tribal Housing Opportunities Program offers an 8 hour course. Completion of that course is satisfactory for the NeighborhoodLIFT® program.
Steps to complete “Preparing for Homeownership”:
- Access the course here.
- Click the “Create Account” button.
- Enter your First Name, Last Name and Email Address.
- Create a password. The password must contain letters and numbers and be at least 6 characters in length.
- Once you have registered you will be taken to the “Dashboard” screen. Go to the top right hand side of the screen and click the “Catalog” tab.
- You will now be taken to the Catalog. This is where you will find the “Preparing for Homeownership” course.
- Click the “Add to Cart” button.
- Now the course has been added to your cart. Go to the top right of your screen and click the green shopping cart button.
- You are now in your shopping cart and can pay for your course.
- Click the green “Checkout” button.
- Enter your credit card information required on the screen and click the green “Checkout” button.
- Next, you should be taken back to the Dashboard page of your account. Click on the title of the course “Preparing for Homeownership” and begin taking the self-paced course.
- Note there is no audio on the presentation. Read through the slides and take notes if necessary. You will complete a 30 question quiz upon completion of the course. You must obtain a score of 70% or higher to receive a certificate of completion for the course. A certificate of completion is required to close with NeighborhoodLIFT program funds.
- If you need to take a break while taking this course, feel free. You can log back into your account at any time and pick up where you left off.